Saturday, April 18, 2020

Team Work


When I think of working in a team, I always think of brining different values, skills, strengths and perspectives to the table. Based on this, I would always prefer to work in a Multidisciplinary team. Multidisciplinary team in definition means that people from different disciplines working together that each one of them brings their own discipline (knowledge of their discipline) into the whole team benefit (work or project) to reach a goal. The reasons I will choose Multidisciplinary team are different disciplines might approach results differently which will widen the point of view or views, so more ideas will come to light. Also, different disciplines have their own knowledge which will help in providing new and might be better idea in comparison in working in only one disciplinary team. Finally, multidisciplinary team is an opportunity to everyone to benefit that means people within the group itself will benefit from each other and learn from each other, in addition, the group results might benefit the outside world, so everyone is benefiting (e.g. working in a multi healthcare team will benefit the team itself to learn from each other, and will benefit patients).
Working in a team is not always perfect as described in the previous paragraph, however; depending on the team members, the experience of working in a team will vary. Some team members will be easy to deal with them while other might be hard. I think it will be easy if you work with members that understand the values of working in a team and coordinate well. Working in a team requires a lot of skills, values and discipline, so it would be easier to work with a person who acknowledges the importance in working in a team as well as respecting all members, their ideas, and do not underestimate the value of any member. In addition to that, members should have good communication skills, so it would be easier for everyone to understand and benefit. On the other hand, I think it will be hard to work in a person who thinks that s/he the only good person in the group, so dose not show respect to members of the group. In addition to respect, I think it will be hard to work with a person who dose not listen to others or communicate well with the team.
Based on my experience in working with groups, I have experienced working with a member who is hard to deal with as he was always silent, did not share his ideas, and did not coordinate with the whole teams as he was doing his work just by himself. I first tried to approach him personally and talk to him as he is doing great job by himself and how we can put that with the whole group work. Then, I tried slowly to ask him to talk (at least with me) to share his ideas when applicable. Thankfully, he started to talk with us (all as group) and shared a lot of his ideas. I think sometimes we will find a group member who is hard to deal with, but with respect to them and to others, we should try to approach them based on their personalities and try to come into an agreement all, so the whole team function well.

No comments:

Post a Comment